There are two main things to consider when choosing a remote controlled car. Firstly is the power source with electric, petrol and nitro available. petrol remote control cars run on a mixture of normal petrol and 2 stroke oil, both of which are available at virtually any petrol station making them very convenient and cheap to run. The petrol engines are big so petrol cars are only available in large sizes making them more expensive but this means there is also space for a large fuel tank so they have longer running times between refueling. Continue reading RC Cars Buyers Guide To Sizes and Power Sources
One of the most common questions we are asked is which is the best RC car. I’ve read a lot of lists and guides on general blog sites and affiliate sites where the writer is clearly not from the industry and they have just filled a page with Amazon links in the hope of getting some commission sales. So we have decided to put together this list of the best RC cars based on price, performance, ease of use and popularity.
Before jumping into the list I should mention about the different types of RC cars which are nitro, petrol and electric. All have advantages and disadvantages as below and the list includes all the types:
Nitro RC Cars
There are many guides out there that explain how to start a nitro RC car but many beginners can still struggle as the guides assume that you already have a little knowledge or do not go into enough detail.
So if you are pulling your hair out and just can’t get it going then don’t fret, if you follow this guide from start to finish and don’t miss a single step then you will get it going.
IMPORTANT – Before We Start..
- Do not skip a single step. Some things may not seem important but actually if not done then it will stop the engine starting. Take your time and make sure you follow every step carefully.
- If the engine is very cold it is going to make starting it a little bit more difficult. If it is the middle of winter and you are outside trying to start a brand new engine in the cold for the first time you are not going to have a nice time. Instead, make yourself a nice hot drink, take it somewhere warm and take your time. Of course you should not run a nitro engine indoors as they give off fumes when started but for pre-starting setup do it somewhere warm and if you do start the engine you can just turn it off again straight away.
- It’s useful to have a basic understanding of how the engine works so that the instructions make more sense. The engine sucks up fuel from the fuel tank and air through the air filter. Inside the engine the fuel is mixed with the air and compressed against a glowing coil (glow plug) which ignites the fuel and air mixture causing an explosion. This explosion forces the piston down which turns the engine and also sucks up the air and fuel for the next explosion. The important bit to remember is that the more air in the mixture the bigger the explosion will be. So when you apply throttle it opens up the air flow so more air can get into the engine making the explosions bigger and therefore making the engine go quicker. So if you have an air leak more air will get into the engine making it accelerate on its own and almost impossible to start.
STEP 1 – Get The Right Tools Ready..
Gift Ideas for Men / Boys Aged 14-16
Nitrotek’s gift ideas for men and boys aged 14 to 16 are great fun and with the right care taken, will last forever. Some are in the form of a kit and need to be assembled before you run the model, but don’t worry the instructions are extensive plus we have excellent technical support team which will help them put the model together if they get stuck. On the other side we have gift ideas for men & boys that could be run straight out of the box. One way or the other our gift ideas are unforgettable, educational and fun.
Our Price £69.99
Here’s a great 4 channel radio controlled helicopter that would make an amazing gift idea for men & boys who love gadgets. This gift would suit people who have maybe had a twin blade helicopter before but are ready to take things to the next level. It’s suitable for 14-16 year olds as it is more of a challenge but more rewarding than the twin blade remote control helicopters that they may find to easy The single blade setup makes it more realistic and it flies like a real helicopter.
Our Price £114.99
Dynam’s EZ Hawk rc plane with its brushless motor is the perfect gift idea for men and boys. Only a small amount of assembly is required once the box is opened and they will by flying this glider in a matter of minutes! The EZ Hawk trainer is constructed from a durable EPO foam so it can take the knocks! This is fantastic gift idea that may start a new passion for RC planes and flying.
Our Price £139.99
This build it yourself nitro radio controlled car kit is one of our most popular gifts. Forget Lego etc., these self build kits provide hours of fun and when they are finished they are actually fun to use! For all of the hours of enjoyment your loved ones will get from first building and then racing these kits, they are amazing value for money. In particular these are a very popular Christmas gift as they will keep kids and big kids quiet while they build the models over the Christmas holidays.
Our Price £259.99
If you are looking to splash out then this is our highest spec electric radio control car. This model will make an ideal gift for men and boys interested in cars. These models are ridiculously quick and will deliver masive amounts of fun and joy. The Werewolf will go well over 50mph, and its upgradeable setup means this buggies potential is endless and so is your choice of next present.
Our Price £414.99
If you are looking for the ultimate gift idea then this ShengQi petrol powered Hummer is the ultimate boys choice. It’s big, fast and solidly built. It runs on a mixture of petrol and oil that can be bought from any petrol station. This is a beast with a massive feature list, an extreme petrol rc truck with loads of power that pushes these petrol trucks to speeds of up to 80 km/h! Look at similar petrol rc trucks the same specs on the market, they retail for over twice what we are selling these trucks for! This is the best ever gift idea for men and boys!!
If after reading through our gift ideas for men you are still finding it difficult to find that perfect gift feel free to call us on 0161 88 300 54, let us know about the person the gift is for, and we will be happy to talk you through a few more gifts that should suit them.
Gifts for Men Aged 17+
We have some fantastic gifts for men aged 17+. The gifts below are guaranteed to make them happy. For the technical guys we have kits to be constructed, or some serious petrol models reaching speeds of up to an eye watering 80 km/h. These gifts for men will certainly be the favourite present they receive and will never be forgotten. Forget socks, aftershave and all that boring stuff, they will get enough of that already, get them something fun instead.
Our price £69.98
If you’re looking for a fantastic looking gift for men then look no further – the G.T.Model AirWolf RC Helicopter is what you need. The helicopter features a sturdy plastic body with realistic features and counter rotating blades for extra stability in the air. This model is solidly built and has the wow factor making it the perfect gift to be unwrapped on a special occasion.
Our price £139.99
This build it yourself nitro radio controlled car kit is one of our most popular gifts. Forget childish Lego etc., these self build kits provide hours of fun and when they are finished they are actually fun to use! For all of the hours of enjoyment your loved ones will get from first building and then racing these kits, they are amazing value for money. In particular these are very popular Christmas gifts as they will keep big kids quiet while they build the models over the Christmas holidays.
Our price £259.99
The GS Racing EvoE is a top of the range electric radio controlled car from one of the most respected rc car manufacturers in the world. This model is on our list of gifts for men as the highly detailed Subaru shell looks amazing and will impress any car fan, it’s extremely quick and it’s very solid and reliable. This model ticks all boxes in every category and will make a great gift for men who will be beaming when they unwrap it.
Our price £299.99
The Yama RC petrol Buggy combines raw power with superb quality and will suit a competitive man with a need for speed. The model is built up with multiple aluminium parts and has a stunning look, with oil filled coordinated coloured suspension shocks. The model runs on normal unleaded petrol and oil from the petrol station so is easy and convenient to run. Make sure you buy lots of wrapping paper because this model is big and will look great under the Christmas tree. This is one of our ultimate gifts for men.
If after reading through our gifts for men ideas you are still finding it difficult to find that perfect gift feel free to call us on 0161 88 300 54, let us know about the person the gift is for, and we will be happy to talk you through a few more gifts for men that should suit them.
Many people who buy their first rc nitro car struggle to get it started, often believing that the car is faulty and sending it back, frustrated! These engines need tuning, and running in before they’ll run smoothly, and there’s a bit of a knack to it, but once you’ve mastered the process, you’ll be running all manner of nitro engines with no problem.
Here we go:
1. Fill the fuel tank and check that the fuel lines are fitted properly, tightly and free of kinks which might impede the flow of fuel.
2. Prime the engine with fuel, the best way is by putting your finger over the exhaust or air intake and then pulling the starter cord until you see the fuel reach the engine. Once you see the fuel reach the engine pull the starter another couple of times to pull the fuel through the engine. If you can’t get the fuel into the engine make sure all the screws around the engine and manifold are properly tightened and that the lid on the fuel tank is closed. If it still will not prime take the end of the fuel line that connects to the exhaust off and blow down it which should force fuel into the engine.
3. Attach your glow starter to the glow plug, this is in the hollow part of the top cooling head of the engine.
4. Pull the starter cord with short quick jerks. Avoid pulling the cord 100% of its length as this could damage the spring. If the pull start becomes very hard to pull then it means the engine is flooded. If this happens you mustn’t pull the start again until you have de-flooded the engine or you could break it. If the engine is cold you may need to open the throttle a touch to help it start, also you may need to pull the start a good few times; the technique is quickly and consistently. If it is still stiff you could try unscrewing the glow plug half a turn and then when it starts tighten it up again.
5. If the setting are correct the engine should start. Disconnect the glow starter as soon as the engine is running.
The main needle adjustment is used to adjust the fuel to air mixture when you are accelerating. Once the engine is run in if it is spitting fuel from the exhaust you may want to turn the adjustment screw a little clockwise just a millimetre or so. Do not over tighten it though as this will overheat the engine and could melt the parts. When you make a change to the adjustment screw the changes will not take effect until after a couple of minutes running.
If after all this you still can’t get it started, there’s a couple more things you could try.
Remember that nitro engines need three things to work.
1. Good air flow through the air filter.
2. A fuel tank with fuel in it, it might seem obvious but…
3. And an ignition source, the glow plug.
Even if the glow plug glows that doesn’t always mean its working well. So it’s worth trying another one, just in case.
Be cautious of flooding the engine with fuel as you try to start it. Conversely make sure you don’t have the high speed needle too lean, thus not giving the engine enough fuel, effectively starving it.
If its cold outside try to warm up the engine with a hair dryer or whatever other heat source you like. Engines start much easier when they are near 120*F/49*C
Air leaks in the engine itself can cause issues as well. Common locations are the base of the carburetor, the back plate, and the front bearing.
And of course make sure your fuel tubing is good and flowing fuel.
Hopefully by now your engine will be humming sweetly!
In a later blog post we’ll discuss running or breaking your engine in.